Whether you’re a struggling student at university or a small business owner, stress can swallow you up. We get so entangled with fear from deadlines, family, work commitments and more that we forget to take a breather.
Here are some fail safe ways to relax your mind, and bring yourself back to the present moment:
- Clean up your space. If your desk or car or home is cluttered with papers and unopened mail then your mind will be cluttered too.
- Drink some tea. Tea has calming properties that coat our minds in serenity. If you’re feeling a little down lemongrass or chamomile are the perfect choice!
- You can do anything but not everything. Stop overbooking yourself, and prioritise. Scheduling your time (including breaks) is the perfect way to keep you on track.
- Making sure you have enough “me” time is really important. This doesn’t mean you have to be by yourself, it’s just doing something that you enjoy without consequences. You might pick up a book you’ve been meaning to read, or organise to catch up with old friends. Balance is key.
- Fill up your lungs with fresh air. Spending your lunch break outside can be a great way to fit this into your day. Even during the chilly Melbourne winter, this is a great way to go back to work feeling invigorated.
- Exercise. When you exercise your brain releases endorphins which make you happy, plus you’ll feel fit, it’s a win win!
- Take a break. Your mind can only concentrate on a task for up to 50 minutes, that’s why high school class periods only run for that long, after that you’re wasting your time. Get up and walk around for 10 minutes to re-set.
- Listen to guided meditation. It’s one of those things that’s expected, but what most people don’t realise is that to meditate you don’t need to clear your mind completely, it’s normal for your mind to wander. After as little as five minutes you’ll feel zen. We recommend the Smiling Mind app.
- Turn off your tech. We all rely on our phones to keep us in touch with the world, but sometimes you need a break. Treat yourself to some tech free time.
- Prepare for tomorrow the night before. Laying out your clothes, making your lunch and writing a list of priorities before you go to sleep, makes it far easier to have a productive and stress free day!